In 1987, the Florida Association of Directors of Volunteer Services (FADVS) organized a committee whose purpose was to develop a statewide certification program that would promote and recognize professionalism in the field of volunteer management. Through its implementation on March 21, 1990, Florida became the third state to develop a comprehensive certification program for its membership.
The overall goals of the Certification program are focused in three major areas:
1. To set professional standards by which directors may evaluate their level of proficiency and competence within a standardized review process.
2. To recognize excellence and validate professionalism in volunteer management.
3. To increase knowledge through the promotion of continuing education on an ongoing basis with the Certification Maintenance Program. To remain certified, individuals will need to re-certify every four years.
All certification applicants must fulfill these requirements:
1. Active FADVS member in good standing for at least one year.
2. Have acquired experience and/or education as follows:
A. Bachelor’s Degree and one year of experience as a health care volunteer services director,
B. Two years of experience as a health care volunteer services director, without a college degree.
C. Have attended a minimum of 20 hours of continuing education programs appropriate to the field of volunteer management and approved by the Educational Committee of the Certification program (not beyond two years prior to application) (form attached).
3. Payment of $75.00 certification application fee (non-refundable).
4. After receipt of the completed application and application fee, the Certification Committee will review the application, and if approved, will email the examination to the designated proctor listed by the candidate as the representative from their organization.
5. The proctor will email the Certification Committee Chair to advise him/her once the exam has been completed.
6. The candidate will be informed, within seven (7) business days of receipt of the exam, as to the status of the examination and whether certification is to be awarded.
RESOURCES AND PREPARATION FOR THE EXAMINATION
Candidates for certification are strongly encouraged to prepare for the examination utilizing volunteer management resources, including those provided by FADVS, AHVRP, SHVL, and other volunteer professional organizations.To apply for the CDVS examination, please complete the Certification Application
Mail this form, the application fee, the documentation of 20 hours of education, and the proctor form to:
Dr. Aimee Yahn-Carmichael, DBA, MAA, CDVS
Director, Auxiliary/D-RMSL Retail Operations
Boca Raton Regional Hospital
800 Meadows Road
Boca Raton, FL 33486